Saturday, May 18, 2013

Rock Star

I've always wanted to play the drums.  As a kid, my brothers and I would drum on the kitchen table before and after dinner and we would slap our knees as we made up silly songs.

During the holidays, the Sears Wish List catalog would come out and I would spend a lot of time on the drum pages, trying to decide which one Santa should bring me.


When I became an adult, I still yearned to play the drums.  In March 2012, I joined AdHoc, a casual band composed of musician/educators from our school in Singapore.  We performed at a small place on Arab Street called BluJaz Cafe to raise funds for the YMak Path Project.  I only played the congas, but that evening inspired me to officially take drum lessons with Jason Cruz at HomeGround Studios.  So...

The zebra skin drum set at Blu Jaz.
...18 lessons later, I had learned enough to practice, rehearse, and play 6 songs.

In early May, I played in my second appearance, covering 7 songs for a farewell party at Penny Black in Singapore and my 3rd appearance was for my own farewell party back at BluJaz in early June.

Recently, while in Tokyo, I found this place called Gigabar.  Think of it as karaoke for instruments.  There is a live band and you sign up to play a song with your instrument of choice.  That was really fun.  I played Bad Company's "Can't Get Enough."

I'll keep playing, practicing, and learning from now on.  I'll also continue to update this blog with my drum adventures!

1 comment:

  1. Tim it has been an absolute pleasure playing with you. I admire your dedication, commitment and musicality. I envy your rhythmic and improvisation skills. I will be your agent any day of the week

    ReplyDelete